Summer solstice on Mount Teide
Sum-mer. 2 syllables and you stress both. The summer is synonymous with good weather, outdoor activities, holidays and free time to enjoy nature from sunup till sundown.
That’s why you must welcome the summer solstice and we recommend doing so from the highest point in Spain: Mount Teide, whilst you enjoy the marvellous view of the sunset from one of the Cable Car viewpoints.
Do you know how spectacular the views are from the top of Mount Teide?
If the weather allows, you’ll see the spectacular views of south Tenerife from the viewpoint of Pico Viejo, with its singular crater that’s 800 m wide at your feet. You’ll spot the islands of La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro while you toast to an epic summer with a glass of Canarian sparkling wine at sunset, an incredible sunset on the longest day of the year.
The summer solstice is the longest day of the year. It’s a very special day and so this activity is also just as special.
During the summer solstice on Mount Teide you’ll learn more about our King of the sky, the Sun, and about the summer solstice with a very interesting talk by our astronomical guides, during a key moment of the summer solstice, just before the sunset, and in a place more than magical, on the spectacular viewpoint of Pico Viejo, with views of south Tenerife.
And to finish enjoying the longest day of the year, we leave professional telescopes at your disposal so that you can welcome summer observing the Sun up close.
On the 21st June you’ll take the Cable Car before the sunset to see how the Sun places itself at the most northern point possible, creating the longest day and the shortest night of the year. You’ll observe the Sun from a privileged position: the viewpoint of Pico Viejo, with its sublime views of south Tenerife and some of the neighbouring islands, with a glass of Canarian sparkling wine in hand to toast an unbeatable summer knowing a little more about the Sun and this magical day of the year.
This activity to celebrate the summer solstice on Mount Teide includes optional transport with pick-ups from Santa Cruz and La Laguna whose service is subject to there being a minimum of 10 people.
- A magical sunset in Tenerife on the summer solstice from one of the Cable Car viewpoints
- An exclusive observation of the Sun through a telescope
- An enlightening talk about the Sun and the summer solstice on the spectacular viewpoint of Pico Viejo
- Transfer available from Santa Cruz and La Laguna (optional)
- Cable Car tickets for the ascent and descent at sunset
- A spoken workshop and observation of the Sun through a telescope
- Transfer from Santa Cruz and La Laguna (optional)
In case of discount tickets for children or local residents, a supporting document is required to prove entitlement to discount.
Changes and cancellations:
You can cancel your booking free of charge up to 4pm on the day prior to the activity. Any changes or cancellations made after 4pm on the day prior to the activity day or on the same day of the activity will be charged a cancellation charge of €30.00.
If the Cable Car cannot operate due to adverse weather conditions, the sunset shall be enjoyed from the Chío viewpoint or similar, and we will give you a refund of the price of the cable car return ticket at the following rates: €27.00 to non-residents and €13.50 to residents.
The meeting point to enjoy the summer solstice on Mount Teide is at the Cable Car station at 6.45pm.
The meeting point in Santa Cruz is at the Intercambiador transport interchange, to the side of the main entrance at 5.00pm.
he meeting point in La Laguna is outside the Nivaria hotel at 5.15pm.
The Teide Cable Car base station has a free car park with 220 parking spaces. The car park is open from 8.00am to 6.00pm.
The base station’s facilities include an information centre and a shop.
There are public toilets at the Teide Cable Car’s base station.
Prepare for your visit:
- Wear comfortable, warm clothing and proper footwear.
- If you have health problems, you should consult with your doctor before undertaking this hike.
- Children under 8, people with heart problems and pregnant women cannot participate in it due to the risk that high altitude poses to their health.
This activity includes a 40-minute walk both ways of medium-low difficulty, therefore you must be in good physical shape.
The facilities at Teide Cable Car are not adapted to those with physical disabilities.
IT IS NECESSARY TO PRODUCE A COPY OF THE BOOKING CONFIRMATION
Street: Carretera TF-I, km 43 - Teide National Park
Postal Code: 38300 Municipality: La Orotava
Teide Cable Car is well connected by roads, and can be easily reached from any point of the island.
If you are in the northern part of the island
- Take the TF-21 motorway which connects La Orotava with El Portillo de la Villa and crosses the Teide National Park. The Cable Car is at km. 43. (N28º 15' 17" W16º 37' 33")
- Take the TF-23 motorway from Boca de Tauce to Chío, which connects with TF-21.
- Titsa bus, Route 348 Puerto de La Cruz – Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Puerto de la Cruz, with stops in La Orotava, Montaña Blanca (trail to the Altavista Mountain Refuge) and Teide Cable Car, and return from the Teide Cable Car departing at 4.00pm.
If you are in the southern part of the island
- Take the TF-21 motorway from Vilaflor to Teide National Park, the route of access for the tourist areas of Playa de Américas and Los Cristianos.
- Titsa bus (guagua), Route 342 Playa de Las Américas - Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Las Américas, with stops in Los Cristianos (9.30am), Teide Cable Car and Montaña Blanca (trail to the Altavista Mountain Refuge), and return from the cable car departing at 3.30pm.
If you are close to Santa Cruz or La Laguna.
- Take the TF-24 motorway from La Laguna to Portillo de la Villa (La Esperanza Motorway), which connects with TF-21 that will take you to the Base station at km 43
Distances: Mt. Teide is approximately an hour’s drive from any point on the island.
- Santa Cruz: 64 km
- La Laguna: 55 km
- Puerto de la Cruz: 45 km
- Los Gigantes: 52 km
- Los Cristianos: 47 Km