Your trip to Altavista del Teide Refuge:
Altavista del Teide Refuge is located at a height of 3,270 metres. There are two routes of access:
- On foot from the road, via Montaña Blanca (Trail no. 7): This starts beside TF-21 highway, at Km. 40.7 (28°15'34"N 16 36'12"W). This is a difficult-rated walk, and it takes about 4 to 5 hours. Plan your start time so that you get to the refuge before 10 pm. It is always safer and more enjoyable to do the climb with other people. A number of buses will take you to the starting point of the trail. Check out DIRECTIONS to find out how to get there.
- The second route is more convenient, because the Teide Cable Car takes you most of the way. First, take the Cable Car, which starts at Km. 43 on the TF-21 highway. At the Upper Station you can reach the Refuge by taking Trail no. 11 to La Fortaleza vantage point. Then continue on Trail no. 7, heading for Altavista del Teide Refuge. This is a medium-rated walk, and it takes 1 hour. The cable car operating times are:
- Upward journeys: 09.00 - 16.00.
- Downward journeys: 09.00 - 16.50.
The Cable Car has a free car park. A number of buses also stop at the Cable Car station.
You can make reservations for the Teide Cable Car and Altavista Refuge on our website.
Some useful tips:
- Wear warm clothing and appropriate footwear for mountain climbing, even in summer. Only take basic necessities to keep your backpack light. Don't forget that you can buy water, soft drinks and hot drinks on your arrival.
- To prevent sunburn, use sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen.
- Make sure you take water with you for your climb. In case you need more water, remember that our facilities have vending machines that offer bottles of water, and so you should remember to bring coins for the machines.
- We inform that our facilities do not have showers.
- This ascent is not recommended for people with cardiovascular or pulmonary problems, pregnant women or children under 2 years of age due to risk of the high altitude having an adverse effect on their health. Consult your doctor before planning your visit.
- Begin the descent inmediately on noticing any symptoms of altitude sickness.
- In the event of feeling indisposed, you can also call 112.
- Before your visit, please review the Refuge rules in this web.
Access to the crater:
It is advisable to leave the refuge at about 6 am, to reach the Teide crater before dawn.
Don't forget to take a torch and your camera.
- When you stay overnight at Altavista del Teide Refuge, you are entitled to access Teide Peak without having to apply for the permit, which is otherwise required.
- Hikes are always done at your own risk. Take care.
- Notify the Refuge personnel if you wish to descend by cable car.