Spend a night on Mount Teide. Regain your energy in the Altavista del Teide Mountain Refuge and live your dream of watching the sunrise from the highest peak in Spain in the company of other hiking enthusiasts.
Spend one night in the highest mountain refuge in Spain
Once you have reached the Altavista Mountain Refuge, following a difficult hike through Montaña Blanca, one of the most spectacular trails to the peak of Teide, or along the La Fortaleza trail and then the Montaña Blanca trail after having used the Teide cable car to comfortably cover the ascent, you will be closer to achieving your dream of spending a night on Mount Teide and watching the sun rise from the highest point in Spain, at an altitude of 3,718 m and with that smell of sulphur so characteristic of active volcanoes.
If you book a one night stay in the Refuge on Mount Teide, you can forget about processing the permit to access the Teide crater because you will be able to walk up the Telesforo Bravo trail before 9.00am, after which time it is necessary to carry the corresponding access pass.
Not only will your booked stay in the Refuge on Mount Teide offer you one of the most spectacular sunrises you have ever seen.
It will also give you a magic night and the impression that you can touch the stars while spending a night on Mount Teide.
The location of the Refuge at an altitude of 3,260 m above sea level and the fact that the sky of Teide is one of the best skies in the world for astronomical observations, will allow you to enjoy the starry sky like never before.
Prepare for your visit in the Altavista Refuge because spending a night on Mount Teide is much more than just sleeping.
Sleep close to the stars in the Refuge on Mount Teide
If what you want the most in this moment is to see the Teide crater up close when the day begins, you are in the right place.
So much so that you get goose bumps just thinking about it.
Because spending a night at an altitude of 3,260 metres in the Altavista Mountain Refuge on Mt Teide is a unique experience in the world!
Brag about having found accommodation in the highest refuge in Spain and having seen the most impressive sunset and sunrise in your whole life with your reservation for the Refuge on Mount Teide.
Stay at the heights for one night by booking the Refuge on Mount Teide and live one of the most exciting experiences that you can imagine.
From the Teide’s summit, you can watch the first of the sun’s rays inundate the landscape with vibrant colours while the volcano casts its shadow over the sea.
It is a spectacle worth seeing! Experience it by booking a one night stay in the Refuge on Mount Teide!
Spend a night in the Refuge on Mount Teide and ascend or descend by cable car
If you prefer to reach the Altavista Refuge to spend a night on Mount Teide, or descend from the volcano, after having used your reservation for the Refuge on Mount Teide, following an alternative route to the traditional Montaña Blanca walking trail (5.5-hour ascent and approx. 4-hour descent), this is what you should do:
- Book your stay to spend a night in the Refuge on Mount Teide
- Buy your Teide Cable Car Online Ticket of the type that better suits your needs: one-way only, for the ascent or descent, or a round-trip ticket.
Did you know that if you choose to go up by cable car to spend a night in the Refuge on Mount Teide, you will only need one hour approximately to reach the Refuge, walking along the La Fortaleza trail and then the Montaña Blanca trail?
- One night stay reservation in the Refuge on Mount Teide
- You will spend a night on Mount Teide
- No need for a permit to ascend to the peak (before 9.00am)
- Times of access to the facilities: from 5.00pm to 10.00pm.
- One of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises in Spain, without a doubt
- Bunk beds made upon arrival
- Disposable bed sheets
What's not included...
- Food and drinks
- Cable Car tickets
During your stay booked at the Refuge on Teide, members of staff will always be available to answer any questions you may have.
Remember that you may only spend one (1) night in the Refuge and that you may access the facilities (kitchen and bathrooms) from 5.00pm to 10.00pm only if you have previously made a reservation for the refuge on Mount Teide.
After having spent the night on Mount Teide, you must leave the Refuge before 7.30am the next day.
The Refuge closes at 8.00am and the entrance hall only opens at 11.00am.
The bedrooms open at 7.00pm.
After 10.30pm all guests are asked for quiet in order to allow other mountaineers to rest.
The cable car operating times are:
- Ascent from 9.00am to 4.00pm.
- Descent from 9.00am to 4.50pm.
Our recommendations for spending the night in the Altavista Refuge on Mount Teide:
- Wear warm clothing and proper hiking footwear, even in summer. Only carry what you need so that your backpack is not too heavy. Keep in mind that you can buy water, soft drinks and hot beverages in the refuge (remember to carry coins for vending machines).
- Protect yourself from overexposure to the sun with sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen.
- Take water with you for the climb and/or descent. If you need to buy more water, please remember that you must carry coins to use the water vending machines on our premises.
- People with breathing or heart problems should consult their doctor first.
- Overnight stay is not recommended for pregnant women or children under 8.
- Descend immediately on noticing any symptoms of altitude sickness.
- If you feel indisposed, you can also call 112, the emergency telephone number.
- Before visiting consult the rules of the refuge on this website.
- When booking a night at the Refuge on Mount Teide, bear in mind that our facilities do not have showers, only toilets.
- The stay in the Refuge includes disposable bed sheets. We will hand them to you upon your arrival and you must take them with you when you leave the refuge.
- The Refuge declines all responsibility for personal belongings.
- You must take all refuse with you after having spent the night in the Altavista Refuge on Mount Teide.
- Please do not waste the water.
- Sleeping in common areas is not permitted.
- The facilities of the Refuge on Teide may not be used during the night without prior booking.
- Camping is not permitted in the vicinity of the Refuge.
- If you decide at the last minute to descend by cable car and you don’t have your Online Ticket, remember to inform the refuge personnel and collect your belongings before going up to the Peak.
In the rooms:
- Eating is not permitted.
- Bedclothes may not be removed from the room.
- No personal belongings may be left in the rooms after 7.30am.
- A reservation for the Altavista Mountain Refuge on Mount Teide gives you the right to access the Peak of Teide before 9.00am without the need to apply for a permit.
- Always walk under your own responsibility. Proceed with caution.
- Let the refuge personnel know if you wish to descend by cable car but you don’t have an Online Ticket.
You can change your reservation for the Mountain Refuge on Teide up to seven days prior to the date of arrival, the booking rate remaining unchanged.
Reservations for the Mountain Refuge on Teide can be changed exclusively by phone, by calling +34 922 010 440. Remember that buyer identification is required.
No changes to reservations for the Refuge on Teide your will be allowed seven days prior to your arrival.
In no case shall the changes to reservations for the Refuge on Teide imply the refund of the amount paid and the maximum number of changes allowed is three.
Failure to use the reservation for the Refuge on Teide on the time and date booked implies loss of the User’s rights.
Check our Terms and conditions for information on other reasons for cancelling your reservation for spending the night in the Refuge on Mount Teide.
Spending the night in the Altavista Mountain Refuge on Teide gives you the right to access the Teide crater before 9.00am, which it is granted automatically when you stay at the Refuge. You do not need to apply for the National Park’s permit personally when making a reservation for the Refuge on Mount Teide.
If you wish to descend by cable car, do not forget to buy your Online Ticket.
The maximum stay in the Altavista Refuge is limited to one (1) night.
Remember that you can access the Refuge between 5.00pm and 10.00pm. Upon your arrival, the personnel will provide you with bedding.
The Altavista Mountain Refuge is open year round, and only closes if there are highly adverse weather conditions.
Access to the Teide crater after having spent the night in the Altavista Refuge on Teide with prior booking
We recommend that you leave the refuge around 6.00am to arrive at the Teide crater before sunrise.
Don’t forget to carry a torch to light the way and a camera to immortalise the moment.
Information for members of The Spanish Federation for Mountain and Climbing Sports
If you are a federated mountaineer, you can benefit from special discounts on your Altavista del Teide Refuge reservation.
You can contact us by filling out the contact form, or by calling +34 922 010 440. Our telephone lines are open between 8.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday.
- Consists of two buildings.
- Has a first-aid station, a lounge, a dining room and a kitchen.
- It has three common sleeping rooms with a total capacity for 54 visitors.
- The rooms are heated.
- The beds are completely made with sheets and warm comforters. It is not necessary to bring a sleeping bag, if you don’t want to.
- There are bathrooms, but not showers.
When making a reservation to spend the night in the Altavista Refuge on Teide, you will be happy to know that you can buy hot beverages, soft drinks and water in the refuge. If you want to use the vending machines, do not forget to carry coins, as the refuge offers no change.
Furthermore, if you bring your own food, you can heat it up in the kitchen, which is fully equipped.
If you are curious about the history of the Altavista Refuge, you will be happy to know that the original refuge was built in 1892 and it was completely renovated in 2007, after the Tenerife Island Council took charge of it in 1950.
The Teide Cable Car base station has a free car park with 220 parking spaces, open from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Also, various buses (guagua) stop at the Cable Car station.
You can park your car in the cable car parking, if you wish, but you must bear in mind that if you want to walk up to the Refuge or descend on foot following the Montaña Blanca trail, you will have to walk 3 km from the car park to the starting point of the trail.
We recommend that you avoid leaving your belongings and valuables in the car, whether you use the Cable Car parking or the Montaña Blanca car park.
Restaurant / Café
Your reservation for the Altavista Refuge on Teide does not include catering services. However, you can find vending machines with drinks and non-perishable food such as snacks. The refuge also has a kitchen where you can heat up food.
Bathrooms without showers
Access for visitors with disabilities
Prices include bed linen and use of the kitchen and toilets (without showers) in the Refuge on Mount Teide.
Where to find us
Once you have booked a night in the Refuge on Mount Teide, there are two different routes to access it:
- On foot, via Montaña Blanca (Trail no. 7): This route starts at km 40.7 of the TF-21 motorway (28°15'34"N 16 36'12"W). Its level of difficulty is high, and the walk lasts 4 to 5 hours approximately. Plan your departure accordingly, so that you arrive at the refuge before 10.00pm. It is always safer and more fun to climb in the company of other people. Various buses will take you to the starting point of the trail. Check the Getting here section.
- Comfortably by cable car and then on foot for one hour approximately. First, take the cable car at km 43 of the TF-21 motorway. From the upper station you can reach the Refuge by following the trail No. 11 to the La Fortaleza viewpoint, which connects with the trail No. 7 to the Altavista del Teide Refuge. Its level of difficulty is medium and the walk lasts one hour.
The starting points of both access routes to the Altavista Refuge on Mount Teide are well connected by roads, and can be easily reached from any point of the island.
If you are in the northern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway which connects La Orotava with El Portillo de la Villa and crosses the Teide National Park. The Montaña Blanca entrance (walking trail No. 7) is located at km 40.7 and the Teide Cable Car entrance is located at km 43 (the Teide Cable Car provides free parking).
- Take the TF-23 motorway from Boca de Tauce to Chío, which connects with TF-21.
- Titsa bus (guagua), Route 348 Puerto de La Cruz – Las Cañadas del Teide (titsa.com). Departure times: 9.15am from Puerto de la Cruz, with stops in La Orotava, Montaña Blanca at km 40.7 and Teide Cable Car at km 43. Return from the stop at the Teide Cable Car at 4.00pm (Cable Car-Montaña Blanca-La Orotava-Puerto de La Cruz).
If you are in the southern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway from Vilaflor to Teide National Park, the route of access for the tourist areas of Playa de Américas and Los Cristianos. The access through Montaña Blanca (walking trail No. 7) is at km 40.7 and the Teide Cable Car entrance is located at km 43 (the Teide Cable Car provides free parking).
- Titsa bus (guagua), Route 342 Playa de Las Américas - Las Cañadas del Teide (titsa.com). Departure times: 9.15am from Las Américas, with stops in Los Cristianos (9.30am), Teide Cable Car and Montaña Blanca (ascent on foot to the Altavista Refuge). Return from Teide departing at 3.30pm, with stops at El Portillo-Montaña Blanca-Los Cristianos-Playa de Américas.
If you are close to Santa Cruz or La Laguna
- Take the TF-24 motorway from La Laguna to Portillo de la Villa (La Esperanza Motorway), which connects with TF-21 that will take you to the access through Montaña Blanca (walking trail No. 7) at km 40.7 and the Teide Cable Car entrance located at km 43 (the Teide Cable Car provides free parking).
- Santa Cruz: 64 km
- La Laguna: 55 km
- Puerto de la Cruz: 45 km
- Los Gigantes: 52 km
- Los Cristianos: 47 km
- El Médano: 52 km
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it can be done on our website Altavista mountain refuge
No. We only have vending machines with non-perishable food such as snacks, and hot and cold drinks.
If you wish, you can bring your own food and heat it up in the fully equipped kitchen.
Remember to bring your own water, and to take all refuse with you when leaving the Refuge.
No, it’s not necessary. The beds in the refuge are equipped with bedding, pillows and blankets.
Approximately 90 minutes.
It depends on each person’s walking pace, but on average, it takes between 4 and 5,5 hours.
Spending a night in the Altavista Refuge allows you to access the crater between 6am and 9am on the morning after your stay.
We only close on the 24th and 31st December. However, remember to check the state of the trails leading to the Altavista Refuge in order to check if any of them is closed. You can find information about the state of the trails on our homepage.
Yes, for free. Please bear in mind, however, that none of the car parks is guarded.
Pets are not allowed in the Altavista Refuge.
The beds are assigned in order of arrival.
Yes. In common areas and some of the sleeping rooms.
No. The Altavista Refuge does not have showers, only toilets.
Children over 8 are allowed to spend the night, as long as they don’t have any health problems which could pose a risk to them during their stay, especially breathing and heart problems.
This activity is not recommended at all for pregnant women, due to the risk that a prolonged stay at such an altitude poses to their health.
The refuge closes the doors at 10pm.
The sleeping rooms before 7.30am and the common areas before 8am.
It is not possible to cancel, but you can change the date or the name on your reservation by calling +34 922 010 440 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm, at least one week prior to the booked date.
You can choose another date within one year from the originally booked date, as long as there are places available. The maximum number of changes allowed is three.
No, it’s not necessary. You can download it and display it on the screen of any mobile device (phone, tablet, etc.).