Visit Mount Teide with the family and take a cable car ride for families
Are you planning a Mount Teide family excursion? If you are looking for Tenerife family activities to visit Mount Teide with the family, our guided tour is the perfect opportunity to visit Teide with your children and enjoy the volcano as a family.
This activity allows you to visit Mount Teide with the family and enjoy a guided tour to the Pico Viejo viewpoint.
After a cable car ride for families in the company of an official guide you will visit Teide with your children and spend an informative and fun day on the volcano. Along with other families, you will discover the flora, fauna and geology of the National Park while you follow the spectacular footpath to the Pico Viejo viewpoint.
Did you know that at the end of the path to the Pico Viejo viewpoint, which you will reach when you come visit Mount Teide with the family, you will find impressive views of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Palma, as well as the awe-inspiring 800-metre-diameter crater of Pico Viejo, which was at one time filled with a lake of lava?
Make a date for the whole family to visit Teide with your children! You will cherish the look of amazement on your children’s faces when they place their hands near the fumaroles and feel the heat of the volcano. Watching them behold the world at their feet from the heights is priceless.
- A guided tour suitable for families with children over 5 years old
- A walk to the Pico Viejo viewpoint with a guide and a cable car ride for families
- Spectacular views of the Park and the neighbouring islands
- Visit Mount Teide with the family and discover the fauna, flora and volcanic landscape of the Teide National Park
- Teide Cable Car ride for families − return ticket
- Guided tour to the Pico Viejo viewpoint
What's not included...
- Food and drinks
- Access for visitors with physical disabilities or motor impairments
At the time indicated on the voucher, at the cable car base station, next to the boarding area.
When planning to visit Mount Teide with the family you must be prepared for the possibility of extreme heat or extreme cold depending on the time of year when your special guided family visit to the Pico Viejo viewpoint takes place.
Recommendations for families
- Wear warm clothing and proper footwear.
- Protect yourself from sunstroke.
- Due to the elevated luminosity, wear sunglasses.
- Take plenty of water on hikes.
Teide Cable Car is located within a protected national park and therefore it is necessary to follow a series of basic rules of civic behaviour, respectful of the natural environment, such as not littering or taking rocks, plants or animals. It is prohibited to make fire, loud noises or to camp.
- People with heart problems and pregnant women are not allowed to ascend due to the risk that high altitude poses to their health. Families are advised to consult their doctor before planning their visit if any member of the family has a health condition.
- In accordance with current regulations, persons with any physical disability or motor impairment are not permitted to make the ascent by cable car, because of the potential risks if the vehicle has to be evacuated.
- It is essential to bear in mind that in the event of the failure of the cable car system due to unexpected technical reasons, passengers already at the upper station will have to make their descent on foot and using steep mountain paths.
- Children under 5 are not allowed to participate in this activity.
It is absolutely necessary to produce the booking confirmation, either printed or displayed on a mobile device.
Cable car tickets are valid for 1 year if they have not been exchanged. Any change of date or cancellation must be effected within a period of no more than 30 days from the date of the original booking. Up to 3 date changes are permitted.
No charges shall apply to requests for modification or cancellation of reservations for the Cable Car that are motivated by the closure thereof due to weather conditions. For all other cases, the customer can modify the date or cancel the reservation up to 1 hour prior to the original booking, incurring a charge of €6.00 per person on two-way ticket vouchers and €3.00 per person on one-way ticket vouchers. After this period, or in the case of vouchers issued but unused, Teleférico shall charge 100% of the booking amount. All changes and cancellations of Cable Car tickets can be made comfortably via our booking management module.
Since the operation of the Cable Car is subject to the changing weather (wind speed, temperature, etc.), on occasions, the estimated boarding time may be delayed. If the closure of the facilities due to adverse weather conditions or technical reasons causes a delay of at least 90 minutes in relation to the booked time, the full refund of the amount may be requested free of charge provided that the tickets have not been used.
The Teide Cable Car base station has a free car park with 220 parking spaces.
The base station’s facilities include an information centre and a shop.
There are public toilets at the Teide Cable Car’s base station.
In case of tickets which include a discount for children or local residents, a supporting document is required to prove entitlement to discount.
Where to find us
Meet your guide at the Teide Cable Car base station.
Street: TF-21 motorway, km 43 - Teide National Park
Postal code: 38300 Municipality: La Orotava
Teide Cable Car is well connected by roads, and can be easily reached from any point of the island.
If the family is in the northern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway which connects La Orotava with El Portillo de la Villa and crosses the Teide National Park. The Cable Car is at km 43. (N28º 15' 17" W16º 37' 33")
- Take the TF-23 motorway from Boca de Tauce to Chío, which connects with TF-21.
- Titsa bus, Route 348 Puerto de La Cruz – Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Puerto de la Cruz, with stops in La Orotava, Montaña Blanca (trail to the Altavista Mountain Refuge) and Teide Cable Car, and return from the Teide Cable Car departing at 4.00pm.
If the family is in the southern part of Tenerife
- Take the TF-21 motorway from Vilaflor to Teide National Park, the route of access for the tourist areas of Playa de Américas and Los Cristianos.
- Titsa bus (guagua), Route 342 Playa de Las Américas - Las Cañadas del Teide. Departure times: 9.15am from Las Américas, with stops in Los Cristianos (9.30am), Teide Cable Car and Montaña Blanca (ascent on foot to the Altavista Refuge). Return from the Teide Cable Car departing at 3.30pm.
If the family is close to Santa Cruz or La Laguna
- Take the TF-24 motorway from La Laguna to Portillo de la Villa (La Esperanza Motorway), which connects with TF-21 that will take you to the Teide cable car base station at km 43.
Mt. Teide is approximately an hour’s drive from any point on the island.
- Santa Cruz: 64 km
- La Laguna: 55 km
- Puerto de la Cruz: 45 km
- Los Gigantes: 52 km
- Los Cristianos: 47 km
Frequently asked questions
No, pets are not allowed.
Children under 5 cannot use this service.
Large pieces of luggage are not allowed on board.
We do not have a left-luggage facility.
She cannot go up by cable car whilst pregnant, as the ascent involves a sudden change in pressure and level of oxygen.
It is not necessary. It can be downloaded and displayed on the screen of any mobile device (phone, tablet, etc.).
it is quite rare for the sky to be clear to see the islands closer. More punctuality is needed, the time written on the reservation, it should be the time to go to the cable car.
Easy to follow, user-friendly process
Guide was professional
Fast and Save !
Super nice and the guide was really helpful
Very interesting. Website a bit misleading though as there was no need to pay for a guide. Could have gone unguided.
Our guide *** was good! she made interesting speaks, not just from a book but also able to answer questions and discuss the subjects . Fine!
Very enjoyable experience. The guide was very informative.
It was amazing
We enjoyed a lot. Our guide Maria answered to every question we had. Great experience. Would recommend.
I've recommended this trip as a '40 before 40' activity. Essentially 40 things to do before one reaches 40 years of age. This is my second trip up here and both times we paid extra for a guide. Both times we had Maria, who is delightful as well as being very knowledgable with superb English skills. The extra money for paying the guide is definitely worth it. The views and sights from the top defy words, so I'll not bother explaining further. Cafe at the bottom cable car house was excellent, had a quick chat with one of the ladies serving (we were first visitors in that norning) who was also delightful. Overall, it was the best part of the holiday. Would love to visit at sunset.
Excellent charming guide. Very enjoyable.
Very good experience and a must if you are in Tenerife